- This event has passed.
Winter Solstice Celebration!
December 9, 2017 @ 7:00 pm - 10:30 pmFree - $30
The Winter Solstice–also known as The Longest Night, Midwinter, Yule, and Jol–is a day that human beings across the globe have been celebrating since the stone age over 15,000 years ago. It represents the shortest period of sunlight in a single day for the whole year, and in turn, the longest period of darkness.
The winter months to follow were typically difficult for early peoples. In fact, they came to be known as “the famine months.” Today of course, winters aren’t so hard on our stomachs–quite the opposite for many of us! But our human need for community, connection, and celebration has not changed. And so we are excited to announce that we will once again be hosting our annual Winter Solstice Celebration and we’d love it if you joined us.
All the details are included below. Scroll down to the bottom to reserve your tickets today!
- Instead of hosting a speaker this year, HCCO will be having a ceremony that helps to bring us together as a community and spend some time reflecting on experiences of the past year, as well as setting intentions for bringing more Reason and Compassion into the world in the coming days and months. This ceremony will include some audience participation, music, sharing of stories, and other exciting things that we hope to use to create a sense of togetherness, inspiration, and hope. The ceremony will take place after everyone has had a chance to eat, starting around 8PM.
- Saturday, December 9th 2017 with doors open from 7:00PM until 10:30PM.
- Whetstone Shelter House (3901 N High St, Columbus, OH 43214).
- The Whetstone Shelter House has an ample parking lot of its own.
- Anyone is welcome, although our members will receive discounted tickets. If you would like to join as a member, please visit hcco.org/join to purchase a membership and support our community.
- Families with children are welcome. HCCO will not be providing additional child care.
- Children under the age of 12 get in for free.
- Members: $20
- Non-members: $30
- Student Members/Limited Income Members: $10
- Ticket sales end on Wednesday, December 6th at 11:55PM so that we can place our food orders.
- We will be catering Chipotle in for dinner as we have done for the past few years. This gives us a wide variety of options for all diets and food sensitivities.
- Please feel free to bring a dessert to share for after dinner in our dessert potluck, but you are not required to do so.
- HCCO will be providing some water, soda, coffee, and tea for this event, but feel free to bring along other soft drinks if you so desire. No alcohol is permitted.
- This is a special event and we encourage our members to dress up and help set the feel for the evening.
- HCCO will be hosting a winter clothing drive again this year to help provide clothing to those in the Columbus community who are less fortunate than we are. Non-perishable foods are also welcome, as the shelter we donate to accepts both. If you want to donate clothing, but don’t have any hand-me-downs to give, consider purchasing a new pack of socks or underwear, as many shelters struggle to supply these items that aren’t appropriate for second-hand use.
- Want to help us put on this event? We could certainly use some helping hands in transporting materials the day of the event, helping to decorate or set up food at the venue, and for tear down and transportation of materials after the event. We would also welcome a volunteer to drop off the charity items to the homeless shelter. Please email Rose at email@example.com if you are interested in helping us out with any of these tasks!